As a valued member of our community, it's important that you're informed about significant developments that could impact us all. We're reaching out to bring to your attention a matter of immediate concern: a proposed insurance rate increase in Carteret County, which could see rates rise from 42.2% up to 99%.
Department of Insurance PSA
What This Means for You
If approved, this rate hike could significantly affect your insurance costs. We understand this news is concerning, and it's crucial that we stay informed and actively engage in this process
Your Voice Matters
Decisions like these are not final and public opinion can play a pivotal role. It's important for our voices to be heard. To facilitate this, we've compiled a list of contacts where you can express your views. The North Carolina Department of Insurance email contact will go directly to the officials who will vote on the rate increases.
North Carolina Department of Insurance
NC House of Representatives (District 13) – Celeste Cairns
Senator Norman Sanderson
Public Hearing Information
A public hearing is scheduled to discuss this matter. We strongly recommend attending if you're able:
- A public comment forum will be held to listen to public input on the North Carolina Rate Bureau’s rate increase request at the North Carolina Department of Insurance’s Jim Long Hearing Room
- Date: Jan. 22
- Time: 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Location: Jim Long Hearing Room is in the Albemarle Building, 325 N. Salisbury St., Raleigh, N.C. 27603.
- A virtual public comment forum will be held simultaneously with the in-person forum on Jan. 22 from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The link to this virtual forum will be: https://ncgov.webex.com/ncgov/j.phpMTID=mb3fe10c8f69bbedd2aaece485915db7e
- Emailed public comments should be sent by Feb. 2 to: 2024Homeowners@ncdoi.gov.
- Written public comments must be received by Kimberly W. Pearce, Paralegal III, by Feb. 2 and addressed to 1201 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, N.C. 27699-1201.
We believe in the power of community action and hope that together, we can make a difference. Thank you for taking the time to read this important update.
SAMPLE NOTE OF OPPOSITION:
Dear Commissioner Causey,
I am writing to express my strong opposition to the proposed rate increase for homeowners’ insurance in North Carolina. The North Carolina Rate Bureau has requested an average statewide increase of 42.2%, and even more for beachfront properties. This is an outrageous and unjustified request that would harm millions of homeowners across the state. The Rate Bureau has not provided sufficient evidence or transparency to justify such a drastic increase. Moreover, the proposed increase would disproportionately affect coastal communities.
I urge you to reject the proposed rate increase and protect the interests of North Carolina homeowners. The Rate Bureau’s request is unreasonable, unfair, and it would have devastating consequences for the state’s economy and quality of life. Please say no to this excessive and unwarranted rate hike.
Sincerely, Your name and address