Jim served on the EI Board of Adjustment and EI Planning Board for 6 years before being appointed to the Board of Commissioners in August 2014, following the untimely passing of Commissioner Nita Hedreen.
Jim was re-elected twice as Emerald Isle commissioner and did not seek re-election in 2021 in order to focus on coastal advocacy issues.
He was reappointed on May 10, 2022, to fill a Board vacancy.
Jim’s past service also includes:
- Military Growth Task Force, North Carolina Eastern Region (2009 / 2010)
- Emerald Isle Economic Development steering committee (2013);
- Carteret County Board of Equalization & Review (2015)
- Carteret County Economic Development Council (2015 – 2018);
- Chairman, Emerald Isle CAMA Land Use Plan committee (2016 – 2017);
- N.C. League of Municipalities Broadband Task Force (2018 – 2020):
- Carteret County Beach Commission (2015 – 2021) / $85 million post-Florence beach renourishment.
- Carteret County Broadband Steering committee (2020 – 2021)
He currently serves as Vice Chairman of the NC Beach, Inlet, Waterway Association and advocates with local, state and federal legislators to shape coastal policy & protect our natural resources. (2015 – present)
Jim retired honorably from the U.S. Marine Corps, is a life member of the VFW, and earned Bachelor of Science in Real Estate and Executive Masters in Business Administration degrees. He is the author of Responsible Influence in New Home Sales, & co-author of the forthcoming publication Responsible Influence for Municipal Elected Officials in North Carolina.
Jim and his wife Elaine have two children and five grandchildren. They have been residents / business owners in Emerald Isle for 20+ years and may be found fishing aboard the Lady E when time permits.