Karate & S.A.F.E.
Complete the Karate Registration and Waiver Form (PDF) to get signed up.
For additional information and times, please email Dr. Joyce Trafton.
Karate Class Focus & Purpose
Crystal Coast Seibukai Goju-Ryu Karate-Do is affiliated with International Goju-Ryu Seibukai in Okinawa, Japan through CNY International Seibukai Association. Karate is about changing behavior and building character. Positive results are achieved by a willingness to strive and practice. We emphasize kata and kata interpretation (bunkai and oyo), awareness, prevention strategies, and self-defense. We do not emphasize sports karate.
Students begin with empty hand training and some bo use. When they are advanced, they can add weapons training. We also offer other Japanese and Okinawan cultural opportunities, such as ikebana (flower arranging) and Nihon Shuji (Japanese calligraphy) Classes are small, fees reasonable with family discounts. There are no contracts and no testing or equipment fees. Please understand that the primary purpose of our dojo is self-defense.
- Dr. Joyce Trafton (Nanadan 7th degree)
- Email Dr. Joyce Trafton
- Phone: 252-622-0401
- Denise Story (Godan 5th degree)
Karate Class Times
Current times open for instruction are:
- Tuesday 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm
- Thursday 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm
- Saturday 11:15 am to 12:15 pm
Self-Defense for Women & Teen Girls
Get fit! Get smart! Get confident! Have fun!
Although women have only 55.8% of a male's upper body strength, with proper training women can overcome much larger opponents using the trained body and techniques based on physics to create efficient movement, coordination, and power. As well, the very act of their immediate, determined, trained responses creates a psychological blow to an attacker. Whole-body movement-tai sabaki or body management- rapidly closes space in self-defense situations and by closing space, females take away the perceived invulnerability of a male aggressor and save energy in the process. However, confidently moving the body requires spontaneous and efficient techniques gained through skillful, deliberate practice over time. Thus, through training, women can become capable and competent using a personalized, practical "toolbox" of self-defense skills.
Emerald Isle Parks and Recreation offers self-defense for women (any age is acceptable) and teen girls (mature enough for conversations about issues like rape, trafficking, abuse, and so on) twice weekly.
S.A.F.E. Class Times
- Tuesday through 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm
- Saturday through 10:15 am to 11:15 am
- $2 for members
- $5 for non-members
- Dr. Joyce Trafton, 7th degree Black Belt Okinawan Goju-Ryu/3rd Degree Black Belt Shorei Ryu
- Owner and instructor of Crystal Coast Seibukai Goju-Ryu Karate-Do Kai. Member of International Seibukai Association. Trained in Okinawa, Japan for 14 years under Nakasone Kinei Sensei, Miyagi Yasuaki Sensei, Shimabukuro Zenpo Sensei, and others. Trained in the United States under Burley Wagner Sensei and Trias Sensei. 40+ years of experience
- Denise Story, 5th degree Black Belt Okinawan Goju-Ryu/3rd Degree Black Belt Isshin-Ryu
- Member of International Seibukai Association. 40+ years of experience